Monday, September 3, 2007

Dark horses run faster on a sunday afternoon



Every good thing has to start somewhere.




This weekend was a start of 2 such things for us.


1. we have registered a new flat on our name which is like investing all we have in something.




2. Started taking Quizzing a little more seriously.




Well am writing this blog to talk about the second. It is my wife and wife alone who keeps me pushing for attending all the quizzes and especially business quizzes that happen in the city. I also get to read a few things along with her for her preparation. Atlast it seems it was all for good and am starting i got a good Morale booster this weekend.




This Sunday at Taj Blue Diamond, happened the Pune regional Finals of Tata Crucible. There were about 125 teams which were participating in the quiz and the first round was of prelims where there were 25 questions asked based on which 2 tracks Finalist were to be decided (6 tata track teams and 6 Non Tata track teams). My wife had participated in the TATA track and me in Non-tata track. My Partner, a particularly bright quizzer from my own college and company, Adheer had lost the touch since last 1 year but was far better than what I could have ever been. And he knew many of the prelims answers ( I too knew a few, so there was definitely some contribution from my side too, Thanks to my Abha for all pestering that she has done in last one year).




The prelims were over and started the TATA track immediately after that. Abha and Deepak (Abha's Teammate, very bright and old time quizzer indeed) both started in a wonderful wonderful form and were leading the quiz in the first two rounds, and it was in the last and fourth round that the questions were to be answered on buzzer and they missed it all as the other team from TCS mumbai was very quick on buzzer. But at the end it was a very very good competition where Abha and Deepak were Runners up by a fraction of seconds. A very proud moment for me indeed :). And it was the first cash prize for my wife in her quizzing career. TATA track ended very well.


Abha's answers about the Darjling Tea logo and a Nescafe add were simply outstanding. Deepak worked out Insulin as an answer to a genric brand in cross word in an awesome manner. The other team was very very good but for me they were the winners.






WIth the start of Non TATA track, we were never expecting our names to be called as we had seen some of the best teams of the region around. Infact team 1 and team 2 were called and team 3 (who eventually won the quiz) was savoir faire (who had won the Brand Equity Quiz from the region earlier this year). I was in complete awe of that team and was looking forward to a great quiz when the fourth team called was our. Absolutely unexpected. After our team too we saw a team from Persistent which had been participating in other good quizzes. I definitely thought that we have lost it and we actually did. But getting on to the stage for the first time for a business quiz was an experience in itself for me. And that was a very proud moment for my wife :).




We knew answers to just 3 questions in the entire quiz out of which one was directed towards us ( I could guess the brad advertised and was very happy on that :)). Another thing I knew was TISCROM material was used entirely to make Howrah Bridge. Adheer knew that Date palm from india is Tamar-e-Hind which brings the present day name of Tamarind. Adheer made some wonderful guesses to work out the other questions which I had absolutely no clue about. But in the end we stood 4th with 2 other teams loosing to the 2nd and 3rd team which were ten points ahead of us. Savoir faire did it again this year. They were absolutely amazing.




But the day marked some very good moments for us. and the day shall always be remembered:).


For more details on the contest visit the website of tata crucible :http://www.tatacrucible.com/

2 comments:

Poonam said...

Cool !!! Congrats to all of u :)
so whats the next milestone for the quizzerss...huh :)

Unknown said...

party maangta, sir!

AddMe - Search Engine Optimization